The adage “A picture is worth a thousand words” has never been more relevant than it is today. In a highly digital culture where companies need to establish relevance and connect with customers online, it pays to ask yourself – what are my images saying about my company?
As website designers with over 25 years in the biz, we’ve seen it all when it comes to website imagery. From killer photography and custom illustrations to missed opportunities, we’ve seen firsthand how investing in website images can make or break an online presence.
To help provide more insight on the topic, here are a few tips on what makes a good website photo and some simple do's and don'ts.
What makes a good website photo
Relevance: Showcase the person, product, service, experience, or location you seek to promote. Relevant imagery helps customers visualize themselves using your product – this creates interest and ultimately helps increase sales.
Specificity: Choose photos that specifically reinforce your brand identity. Instead of using generic, unrelatable stock images, use a photographer to capture specific real-life images that tell a compelling story about your business or product.
Connection: Utilize photos that create a relationship between the image and the viewer. For example, you could use pictures of a person engaging with the product or making eye contact with the viewer.
The benefits of hiring a professional
Web trends today are very much about crisp, clean design aesthetics. The simplistic design trend is popular because it's ideal for showcasing content, but pulling off this trend requires brilliant photos and concise web copy. Here are a few reasons to call in the pros.
- Professional photographers know how to stage a shot to establish an emotional connection with the audience. From soft and friendly to edgy or sophisticated, a photographer can capture the feeling your company wants to evoke.
- Professionals know how to photograph a product or service in a way that will promote sales and business growth. Create brand consistency by using great product shots across various platforms such as a website, email, social media, and print advertisements.
- Photographers can also retouch and color correct photos properly to look their best or blend with color themes on your website.
- Marketers know how to write and position content for the web, ensuring site visitors will want to read about your fantastic product or service.
- Marketers partner with web designers and photographers to ensure your site is mapped out for the desired content journey, brand imagery, and ultimate usability.
For some, hiring a professional photographer or marketer to help with a website redesign may seem like an extra expense. However, investing in your brand through the refinement of your story yields a higher return. Contact us to learn more about our design and marketing services. We can help you thrive online.
API Development Content CreationContent Management SystemDigital MarketingE-Commerce DevelopmentE-mail MarketingHostingIT ConsultingLead GenerationProject ManagementStrategic AdvisoryWebsite DesignWebsite DevelopmentWebsite Maintenance WordPress Management